Thank you for volunteering to support CASA DeKalb County by participating as a “Celebrity Chef” for 50 Men Who Cook on Saturday August 10, 2019.
- There is no cost involved to participate in 50 Men Who Cook other than purchasing ingredients for the recipe you serve.
- Each cook is asked to prepare a minimum of 250 samples-size servings of their favorite recipe in one of the following categories: appetizer, side dish, entree, dessert. A serving is considered to be 1-2 forkfuls or bites.
- There will be a chef orientation on Thursday, July 25th from 6:30-7:30 pm at Taxco Restaurant in Sycamore. Snacks will be provided. This meeting is crucial to the success of the event and attendance is appreciated. All first time chefs are highly encouraged to attend the meeting. Returning chefs are highly recommended to attend the meeting as well. Returning chefs can be helpful to new chefs and it is a great refresher of the event. If you are unable to attend or have questions, contact Jessica Sandlund at 50MenWhoCook@gmail.com or 815-895-2052.
- Banquet tables-tables will be shared, each chef receives a maximum of 4 feet of space
- Warming trays and burners, for those that requested it. NO ELECTRICITY WILL BE AVAILABLE!
- Ice for those who request it
- Small plates, bowls, plastic forks and spoons, salt and pepper
- Gloves for preparing and serving food
- Hand washing stations, paper towels, and hand soap dispensers
- Trash cans
- Bottled water for the chefs
- Warming trucks and cooling trucks to keep your second half of samples hot or cold.
- Your own serving utensils, if needed
- Decorations for your station (optional, but highly recommended. Prizes for best-decorated station!)
- Good Food
- If desired, you may bring one assistant to help you serve.
Safe Food Handling Tips
- The Health Department is most concerned with safe food temperatures (please refer to the safe temperature guide that will be handed out at the chef orientation meeting). Cold foods at 40 degrees or below and hot foods at 140 degrees or above.
- Strict attention should be given to personal hygiene. Clean outer garments should be worn.
Eating, drinking and smoking are not allowed in areas where food is being prepared. Wash hands frequently and wear gloves.
- Children and non-food handlers are prohibited from food preparation areas.
- Only equipment which is safe, in good repair and clean should be used. Counters, shelving and equipment must be clean, organized and presentable at all times.
- There will be no kitchen available prior to or during the event. There will be no access to the kitchen or kitchen equipment. Please make special note of this and plan accordingly. Ice will be provided as needed.
Event Entry & Unloading:
- You may unload your food and necessary items between 3:45 and 4:45 PM on Saturday, August 10th at Barsema Alumni and Visitors Center. Volunteers will be available to help you unload. Free parking is available around the center.
- When you arrive, you will check in and be escorted to your space. Only you and your assistant may enter at this time. No tickets are required. All other individuals will need to enter through the main entrance with the other diners beginning at 6:00 PM. If guests arrive early, they will be asked to wait to enter.
- All chefs must be in place and ready to go by 5:15 PM for the chef’s reception. Please have your one assistant with you at this time. Your assistant will serve your dish during the chef’s reception from 5:15-5:45 PM so you will be able to mingle and taste other dishes.
- Student volunteers will be available to assist chefs during the evening. Let them know if you have any questions or problems.
- You and your assistant will attend the event for free. We do ask chefs to consider selling four tickets on our behalf, but you are not required to sell tickets. However, for every pair of tickets you sell, we will offer you a free drink ticket, up to 4 total drink tickets. You can sell tickets two ways:
- Send your family, co-workers and/or friends to this website (www.50MenWhoCookDekalb.org) where they can buy their tickets through PayPal. There is a box on the page where they can enter your name.
- Send your family, co-workers and/or friends to the CASA office (407 W. State Street Sycamore Suite #6).
Thank you again for participating in 50 Men Who Cook, you are crucial to our success!